Sunday, November 2, 2008

Rose O'Connell's burial

On September 24, 2008 I ordered a copy of Great Grandma Rose's death certificate. No one in the family that we speak to seems to know where she is buried. The first certificate was not for our Rose. So, I tried again. This time it was a success! But, the good news is that Rose is buried within a mile of my house at St. Joseph's Catholic Cemetery. I got up in the morning and made Brittany go with me to search for her resting place. This is a huge cemetery and it took us awhile to find her. But here is the exciting part. Not only did we find Rose, but we found her daughter Theresa, son Linus, and his wife Helen. Pictures of the markers are already loaded on the blog. There are many O'Connell's buried here. Not sure if any of them will end up related or not. But it was too many in their listing to take a quick note to go back to later. Glad it is close so that I can get back whenever I need to.

Here is what I learned so far. The hunt is exciting, but the thrill is from the find. Each time I find something, the excitement is so thrilling! Hope to have many, many more finds.

At this point, I look forward to my trip East to visit the parts of NY my family came from. Hopefully I will be able to do this in the spring, when the weather becomes nice enough to enjoy a few days outside.

No comments: